Roaches, especially the American Cockroaches, live in the sewer system, and they usually get into your washroom via drain pipes connecting with these sewer systems.
Our washrooms’ default metallic drain covers have quite big openings for roaches to sneak through them. Unfortunately, roaches are extremely good at squeezing their bodies through tight spaces.
So it is good to cover your existing drain openings with Anti water bug drain covers to stop bugs and roaches from getting into your bathroom or kitchen.
Following is the list of the best drain covers I recommend with holes small enough to stop roaches from breaching inside:
- LEKEYE Steel and Silicone Shower Drain Cover
- OXO Good Grips Silicone Drain Cove
- Flexible Silicon Drain Cover Large
- OXO Good Grips Shower Stall Drain Protector
- Drain Defender for Outdoor Drain Fittings
You will also find people suggesting putting some XYZ liquid in drains to get rid of cockroaches. That’s insane and never works. Learn More: Does Pouring Down Drain to Kill Roaches?
Let’s dive into more details about these drain covers and why you should get one.
Tired of cockroaches? Invest in only these products and follow the guide to eliminate roaches!
Use these products, and you will be roach free in less than a week.
1. Advion Cockroach Gel Bait (Review)
2. Gentrol IGR Point Source (Review)
Other Products to try:
1. Combat Roach Traps (Easy than gel baits)
2. Hot Shot Foggers (To kill in masses – 95%)
3. Pet Safe Killers (Uses Essential Oils)
4. Ortho Defence Outdoor Roach Killer (Prevent Roaches)
How to stop Water Bugs and Roaches from coming up the drain?
There are multiple ways to stop roaches and water bugs from coming up the drain, and the best one is to use a drain cover with small holes in them.
Occasionally running water in unused bathrooms will also help keep roaches at bay. To be complete roach free, make sure to take these preventive measures:
- First, cover your drains with a cover having small openings.
- Next, renovate leaky faucets, so roaches are not attracted.
- Seal crevices and holes around your drain pipes to stop roaches from getting inside
- Look for any gaps in the pipes under your sink.
- Close all holes in your bathroom walls.
- Cover running pipes to stop condensation.
List of Best Anti Cockroach Drain Covers
There are many options, and many are equally good, but I have selected these based on availability, functionality, design, and price.
These are some high-quality drain covers, and they will stay in place. However, all of these drain covers are heavy enough to be moved by roaches.
1. LEKEYE Shower Drain Cover
Lekeye drain cover is my mast favorite drain cover among a few I have reviewed. The reason I like it the most is its weight. The build quality is also excellent. The extra weight keeps the roaches away. It weighs around 103 Grams.
It has holes on the sides to allow water to flow out without a buildup. It’s easier to clean as well.
When To Consider This Lekeye Shower Drain Cover:
- It’s evident that this drain cover is mainly designed for catching hairs, but due to its high weight and small openings, it will easily stop roaches from coming out of the drain pipes.
- It’s a bit expensive but will save you on maintenance in the long run.
- Large in size to cover a wide variety of drain holes. No doubt, this is my favorite drain cover.
2. OXO Good Grips Silicone Drain Cover
OXO is a trusted brand with many drain cover products. These products are mainly designed to stop hairs and other stuff inside your drains but work great in stopping roaches from getting inside your bathroom or kitchen due to the small size holes and good weight.
When To Consider This OXO Good Grip Drain Cover:
- The best part of this drain protector is its weight. I liked the way it stayed in place. The silicone grip also helps, but it has a good and reasonable weight. It’s around 60-70 grams. The extra weight will help keep roaches away.
- I found it to fit correctly to many drain holes as it may seem small, but it is pretty significant in hands. Check the image above to get an idea of its size concerning hand size.
- There is one downside, though. It disturbs the flow of the water, which may not seem super cool. It will also raise the water level, so if there is a chance for water to exit via your door in your bathroom if the level rises, I will advise you not to buy it.
- It’s also made of silicone and stainless steel, so expect a good overall life. It is rust-free.
- Another big downside to this one is it has got no holes on the far ends, so it will remain a little greasy after you shower and may need often cleaning.
3. Flexible Silicone Drain Cover Large
This square flexible silicon cover is in another league and does not directly compete with the drain covers I have shared above. It’s flexible and large to cover most of the drain sizes.
This drain cover comes with suction cups to remain in place. The weight of these drain covers is enough to stop a cockroach from entering via a drain hole.
Each hole in this drink cover is small enough to block a cockroach. However, if this drain cover is not placed correctly, cockroaches can sneak through from the sides.
There are a few other downsides, including removing it for cleaning, and it won’t attach appropriately if around the drain hole is not properly dry.
You also need to make sure that the tile around the drain cover is not rough; else, the drain cover won’t stick properly.
When to Buy this Flexible Silicone Drain Cover:
- It’s cheap, and you can buy multiple to cover a wide variety of holes with this in your bathroom, laundry, bathtub, kitchen, etc.
- It’s very flexible in hands and easy to clean (But will need frequent cleaning). Especially don’t miss the underside where mold can grow. I have not tried it for an extensive amount of time but have seen people complaining about it.
- I have found it to be relatively easy to install.
- Other than stopping roaches from entering via drain pipes, it can effectively stop hairs from going into drain pipes.
4. OXO Good Grips Shower Stall Drain Protector
As stated, OXO offers many drain cover products. This is a flat cover design, just like one offered by LEKEYE. The OXO one is more popular, though, but a little costly.
The built quality is fantastic. No doubt about that. However, it is mainly designed for ROUND drain holes and may not sit flush with a square drain configuration. For square one, buy the one mentioned above.
This anti cockroach drain cover has a good grip and helps stop cockroaches from getting via drain holes. The holes are tiny, and the mesh is made of metal.
It has got reasonable weight to stop roaches.
When to Buy this OXO Good Grip Shower Drain Cover:
- I am really impressed with its built quality. The silicon outer ring keeps the cover in place.
- The holes are tiny to allow a cockroach to pass through them.
- It has a small profile and won’t create a puddle inside your bathroom.
- Buy it for round drain openings. I did not find it sitting flash on square drain fittings.
- It’s rustproof as it’s made of silicone and stainless steel. Be careful with the outer ring, though. It can come apart if miss used.
5. Drain Defender for Outdoor Drain Fittings
Drain Defender is a very different type of product, and it is mainly designed to avoid clogged drains in case of rainfall.
Besides its primary purpose, it has a mesh installed on the underside with small holes to keep cockroaches away.
This product is undoubtedly a little expensive, but it will definetly keep cockroaches limited to the sewer system.
When to buy Drain Defender:
- You have cockroach problems on your lawn, front door, etc, and they are coming from inside your sewer system.
- You also need to solve the flooding issue due to extensive rain.
- The catcher has tiny holes to prevent cockroaches from climbing out of the sewer system.
- The design is unique. Not suitable for indoor bathrooms as it’s pretty significant in size. Easy to clean and dismantle.
- It’s a patented product so that you won’t find something similar on the market.
- The product dimensions are quite large, but it is designed for small drains. Size: 12″ Diameter x 2″ High
- Rugged, durable PVC construction which is rust-free and will last for a long period of time.